NUNGARIN HERITAGE MACHINERY & ARMY MUSEUM

Nungarin Museum Image

The Nungarin Heritage Machinery and Army Museum is housed in an original massive Army Vehicle Workshop building constructed in Nungarin in 1942-43 as part of Australia’s defence during WWII. The huge building was part of No.5 Base Ordinance Deport (5BOD) which was considered to be the largest storage facility for Army Ordinance in Western Australia at that time, built at the total cost of approximately Ten Million Pounds.

The former Army Vehicle workshop is one of the very few remaining large volume timber military buildings build during WWII for the Commonwealth Allied Works Council In WA. After the war Most of the camp facilities and buildings were sold and the Nungarin Shire purchased the workshop for use as a Shire Depot but now houses the Nungarin Heritage Machinery & Army Museum.

Nungarin Museum Image 2 Nungarin Museum Image 3

The museum also has an imposing display of Military Memorabilia Including an impressive 10th Light Horse Collection dedicated to local WWI hero Trooper Joseph William Spillman. Other items on display include the rare Dingo Scout Car and the General Grant Tank and other military vehicles. A large collection of Agricultural Development heritage memorabilia and machinery is also displayed.

Nungarin Image 4

Nungarin Image 5

Nungarin Image 6

Museum Cafe

Visit the Museum Café for a cuppa and meet the locals and volunteers. Book a morning Tea or Luncheon (group bookings welcome). Sundays at the Museum Café is time for a Coffee and a Big Cooked Breakfast 8-10am come down everyone welcome.

Sunday Morning Special Menu

Nungarin Museum Cafe

Museum Tour Bookings and Information


Museum Opening Times
9.00am – 4.00pm 7 Days
Address: Second Avenue Nungarin or PO Box 57 Nungarin WA 6490
Phone: (08 90465040) or Nick on 0447775181
Email: nungarinheritage@bigpond.com

View the Museum Brochure here.

The Museum is a non profit organization and run by local volunteers. Donations or Loan of items for exhibits are always welcome